Thursday, July 5, 2012

3 Across

3 Across

Been sitting here since 5.  

5.15 actually! 

And it is 6.48pm right now and I am sure the sunset at least an hour ago! 

 The lights in the CCD (Cafe Coffee Day) came on in the meanwhile. 

The damn air-conditioning doesn’t work. :(

I hate the noise of the rap music that has been on all along and  what’s worse to outdo its volume these loud behenji-turned-mod* kids, who have been sitting right in front, for longer than me,  haven’t been conversing in Braille either.

 *(Behenji -turned -mod = Vernacular-wannabe-urban/modern ) 

No wonder their parents are willing to pay hard cash to them every day. 

Who would want these tykes spending time at home anyway? 

 I must remember to get ear muffs the next time I come into any damn coffee place. 

Maybe earplugs would be better. 

No. 

 I think cotton would suffice. Would it actually? 

I am angry, frustrated and really pissed off, but any point in showing it?

 Naah.

 I have had 2 Cappuccinos and 1 Masala Tea. 

All but solved the Mid-day crossword. 

Except for this weird 3 Across. 

What’s the 13 letter word for ‘Masterful scheming’? 

Well, what kind of a clue is ‘Masterful scheming’? 

Have to see if Oxford would approve of it. Guess anything goes these days.
Wow, it has a C of the 2 Down ‘Machete’ in the 3rd place and L of the ‘Love’ from 8 down at the 10th place and ends with an N of the 12 down ‘Neutralize’. 

And to top it all, the clue for ‘Love’ at 8 down was ‘Honey’! LOL
.
Mmm…

Masterful  Scheming…? 

Yes, I got it!  :)
 STRATE…

 Nooooo!  :(
  
 Shhah!

Whaa? 

A dope just walked in! 

With a hot pair of legs following him!

WoW, just look at that! 

The texture. The smoothness. 


Oh no! It can’t be!

“So my being late has definitely NOT been a waste of time for you.” 

Husky, deep-throated voice of a familiar cat woman, sneaks up from behind. 

There she was. The Queen 'So Late' Latifah!

As usual, appears from nowhere, like a cat tiptoeing, waiting to pounce on you.

 How long had she been standing behind, watching me gape? 

Trust me, longer than you think. 

Never can really know women. Not this one definitely! 


(If you wish to read ahead click on the 'Read morebutton below)



I began my ‘I-am-gonna-sulk-now’ act.

 “Oh! Are you late?” I feigned. 

“No. I am on time, as usual.” Never retreats this one. 

“I was sure you needed some ‘Lech’ time by yourself, so I let you have it. See how understanding I am?” 

She ruffled my hair like a dog at the end of her statement and plonked herself right in the front seat. 

I hate it when she becomes patronizing, condescending, unapologetic, shameless, and many other unsayable things all at once. 

Mostly I hate it when she touches my hair without genuine affection. 

Really? 

Not done. Grrr.

I looked ahead, avoiding a straight look into her alert eyes, in the direction of the leggy Butterfly, refusing to bow down to such brazen show of power. Chin up boy!

:)

She almost jerked her head, turning to see the 'Gorgeous' and back at me, with molten steel pouring out from her eyes, (All executed in one millionth of a nanosecond)  and a very, very sly grin slowly rose upon the cruel side of her mouth. 

I am sure she understood I wanted to burn her up a little. 

Her gaze, unflinching, straight into me. I looked at the guy on the counter and gestured, still avoiding a head on.

 “Cmon on now, I got stuck in the traffic, and my battery was gone, what do you expect?” 

She cajolingly explained, lamely showing her dead cell phone and throwing it on the table in front.

Wow for a second... I do want to believe there is really something human in there. 

But I rarely get a chance to be on top and I am not going to drop the ball, at least not yet. 

“Hmm.” I drank the non-existent last sip of the Masala tea.

The Hmm was sarcasm+disbelief+sulk+disgust+anger all rolled into one. 

The knife was in and I intended to begin turning it slowly and slowly. 

Very, very slowly. :)

I continued looking at the table in front with a serious deadpan face. 

Wha? That was fast!

 She was right beside me, digging her head into the sensitive parts right below the back of my ear, rubbing all of her ‘sensuousness’ into my chest, she nibbled on my ear as she whispered, 

“But I said sorry na!” 

Lovely move! That was something. 

“Did you? I didn’t hear you say ‘Sorry’.”

“Are you deaf? I just did.”

“?” 

I doubt if any Judge could condemn a criminal with such 'innocent' eyes. 

Innocence is the devil's face!

Not to forget, I hadn’t missed the zones her hands had moved into just a second ago. 

There and yet far away. 

Very far.

 It was very difficult to get out of the grip of the Powerplay that she had just used, but I refused to cower so easily. 

Courage and tenacity were me today. 

I shrugged her away, uncaringly, yet continuing with the ‘I-am-not-with-you’ charade. 

Deciding to follow up on witnesses for 'Sorry' claim, I tightened the noose a little more...

 “I didn’t hear it, probably the waiter did! Hey bhaiya..!” I called out to the waiter. 

She pulled me back forcibly, suddenly vulnerable and all ready to break!

“Stop making a fool of yourself!” As if she was protecting me! Ha!

I looked at the guy standing right in front of us, with a question mark on his face. 

She took over almost immediately,

 “He’s had his 2 Cappuccinos and a Tea? Right?” 

Again showing off how well she knew me and deflecting the conflict smoothly away. 

“So, nothing for him!” Punishment…   :(

“but I’ll have that blue cooler, what is it damn called?” She lifted her head to me in askance.

“Blue Ocean!” 

Yes, I am her secretary!

 “I want a…” I turned to the waiter.

 “No! Enough! Nothing ! Bad for health!” 

“….glass of water?” I said, with really cold ice in it. 

She had that silly sly grin again.

 “Ok a glass of normal water, nothing else, enough!” 

Mother is here! Hallelujah!

 I turned away in real disgust, yet with supreme control, not exhibiting even a single bit of a chink in the armor. 

Though there it was and she must have noticed it, coz she moved back to the front seat immediately for a face to face vantage position.

Best to move away again. I turned away a little more deliberately and unwittingly looked at the gorgeous spread of the familiar 'legs' seated with her back to me on the table right ahead. 

Oh, the structurally supreme curve of the nape!


Oops, it was caught on tape! 

“Someone can’t take their eyes off ‘legs’ today, huh?”

A soft laugh, in the end, softened the allegation somewhat. 

Masterly, the way my woman moves.

 Absolutely fantastic! 

No wonder I have been with her for so long. 

Never a dull moment!  It’s Tom and Jerry all the time! 

Whoa! There I was again, all falling for her charms as usual.

 Get up man don’t lose a battle when you still have the tactical advantage. 

Miffed, angry and all fret up, I mumbled.

“I know her.” 

That sounded cool. 

“Yea sure.” She drubbed me down almost as quickly as I had raised my head. 

“No, serious!” Uber Cool.

“Yeah? Then how do I not know her? Who is she?” 

First Blood.

But it was so casually said, I could have missed the bait. 

Pausing for effect. 

Still not meeting her face up. 

I looked up just with the right amount of cool. 


She was unsure, all curious and waiting for the ax to fall but with bravado unseen ever before. 


Yet the nervous tension within, was palpable.


 I went straight for the kill.

“You remember the day you were waiting for me at that Bus stop? And a friend of mine had had an accident?" 

I knew,  a scanning device a million times stronger than any US satellite, was now scanning me at max resolution! 

"Yes! The day I lost my Blackberry! And I couldn’t make it?”


Take it easy, overselling may spoil the broth. 

 “Hmm..” 

She was playing it cautiously but her RAM was all up and racing at 2000% and the Anti-Virus was sending ‘Alert! Alert! Alert!’ messages to her entire being, but if you saw her, there wasn’t even a change of pace in her usually verrry slow and snooty way of blinking her eyes. In fact it generally became slower at such times and remained shut for longer and loongeer.

“You remember, right?” I was deliberately pausing the attack till I was sure the enemy hadn't seen my cards.

She pretended to sip her Blue Ocean, for now avoiding an exploration within, she looked up with a casualness of a leopard and nodded her head as she brushed her hair aside and once her defenses were all up again. Again that loong blink of the eye and she's back!

“Ah yes, how I screwed your happiness the next day? Haha!” 

Gloating wasn’t she? Or trying to build up her confidence on some past glory?


“Ha ha.” I joined in, smiling. 

Really, so fake.


“But I made up for it didn’t I?” 


Encircling the enemy slowly from the rear I was.

Point-blank, refusing to acknowledge. 

“Didn’t I?” I rubbed it more.

She nodded very cursorily. 

“So then where did you meet this piece?” she didn't even bother to look at the 'ripe one' as she said it.

Me. Deliberately Casual, unmoved and back to the attack, on the front foot.

“It was 4 pm already and I was standing at the Chincholi bunder signal. I was late.I took out the mobile, it showed too low a battery to call. My helmet was all full of sweat. And the' traffic signal refused to be anything but red. So much traffic! What the hell? Some naka bandi up ahead.
(a police checkpoint causing a traffic snarl)
Instinctively, I looked behind. And there she was! 
The legs of a lifetime! 
Inside the autorickshaw right next to my motorbike!
I bent slightly to look at her face, at the same time she peeped out of the auto and our eyes met. 
Straight. 
Head-on. 
I am not sure, but they stayed locked for a second or more maybe, but the damage had been done. 
Maybe I had become slightly conscious, so I looked ahead and adjusted my mirror to see her through it. 
But she had not changed her intent and I saw her looking at me straight in the mirror. 
Suddenly out of the blue, she gestured strangely. 
God, Was she asking me if she could join me on the bike? Oh Yes, she was!
 I turned to her to ensure that I had read it correctly. 
And there again, she repeated the same gesture adding a questioning nod of her head sideways.
 I smiled. 
Within. 
At her. 
At the whole damn possibility of it all! Whoa!" 

I was flying way above, in the heavens! I paused to gloat on the extent of the sheer devastation the tale of my heroics had left behind. 
All I saw were cold green eyes staring blankly at me and Ms. Spock finally spoke, 

"And?" almost immediately moving to retreat back into the straw of her
 'Blueless ocean.'

Interest was oozing out of her ears in gallons but not a drop to see. Tut.tut!

 "And what?  She paid the rick asap and climbed on right behind me. What you know?  Boy, was the signal green? :))) ”

“Hmm. Then?” She. Artic Cold!

 Me. All bursting and excited,

 “Then, what? We rode and we rode, through all the traffic zooming like nothing mattered anymore. The wind was blowing her flowery skirt like a thousand flags fluttering all at once. She clung to me, her hands, her body all of it - one! With Me. 
We must have driven in our combined ecstasy a while because when we stopped, we were at Aksa beach. She asked ‘But why did you stop?’, ‘I was feeling thirsty’, I said.'Yeah me too' she said. ‘I like the way you ride’, She caressed the bike so lustily as if it was something else! ‘It’s a Karizma.’ I said. ‘Oh yes, Kareeezma!’ She sprawled her body all over it. ‘She runs like a panther’. Saying it raspily 'paaan..th..uur' like a cat purring in slow motion.
 ‘Hey, you want a beer?’ I  pointed to a beer shoppe. 
She was ready at once. We bought a couple of cans and strolled onto the beach. She picked up her stills on her shoulder so elegantly, dangling them, as she walked, like a sensuous dance in her step, she turned and pulled me into the gentle tide."

Me. Unstoppable. 

"We ran all over the water, kicking it and playing with it. But not that deep, which would get us all wet. By the time we were tired and returned to the inner parts of the dry land it was dark and both of us just lay on our backs. Tired. Looking straight up into the moonless sky and the wind-shaken Palm trees. 
She moved closer into me and I into her. 
She kissed me and I did the same. But we held back, withdrew. Why? I do not know.”
“Till, all of a sudden, we heard sounds. Sounds, so amorous! So compelling!
A loud wailing of a woman, in the throes! And a man, moaning in his highest! We could not stop after that. There was no point anyway. After we finished, we gathered ourselves in the dark and rushed back. I probably lost my Blackberry in the hurry."
 "I told her to wait by the bike, while I went to check for it. I searched and searched, but I guess it was gone. When I returned to the bike, so was she.”

As soon as I finished, I took a big gulp of the Blue Ocean and finished it.

She wasn’t bothered that I had consumed her entire ocean. 

Wow!  Was she shaken? 

Richter measuring 8.5!  


Touche! 

Her eyes were like searing diamond cutters, piercing through everything in between and yet, I was untouched. 

I was gloating with pride written all over me! 

Smug was my middle name!

I had mastered the master herself! 

Subtle, my friend, subtle! 

You are the King of the World! 
         
I gestured to the Waiter. “One Chocolate Fantasy! And Yes, with Ice cream!” 

Mr. Super Cool!

I was full up, head on, straight into her, doing the Victory dance! 

As soon as the Fantasy came up, I pushed it to her.“Here!”

She did not even bother to glance at the peace offering. 

Well almost. 

As soon as I picked a piece of it, she pulled the dish away before I had even put the piece in my mouth. 

“You know it’s so strange..”

Wha..?


She pounced on the Fantasy like a Cobra!


 There is life left in her for a fight still huh? 

“You never asked me what happened that day while I waited for you at the Bus stop.” 

That sounded like ice!


“Mmmf…?” I questioned with my mouth full of the fantasy. 

She gulped the chocolate morsel with that cruel smile again. The Game was on!


 Palpitating tension was blowing the roof away.

 My RAM was all up by 20,000% and even then it was not equal to her default standard. 

She was suddenly the coolest thing in the café, cooler than the ice cream. 

God of Cool! 

She chomped for the longest time in history.

“Well ..” I meekly tried to show that I wasn't ruffled, but there I was... all wasted!

 As she finished the last bite of it, my heart was already in the ICU, being administered CPR! 


With a deep breath, she began,
 “I was standing for more than an hour at the bus stop and the sun was unbearably hot. I was tired of the dust and kept trying your number continuously. Obviously the network at 'Aksa beach' is of no worth, so you didn’t get anything. But as I stood there, a hunk just came and parked right in front of me, in his brand new Pajero. There was a naka bandi and the traffic was all choked up behind but the road ahead was clean. No bus destined to come and it seemed that he was waiting for someone. His perfume was driving me all wild. Face all but chiseled! His lips were like wet and wanting, but so tender. So tender! He was Greek God!  He looked at me and I really felt myself walking up to him,     (a police check point causing a traffic snarl)

 ‘Are you going straight ahead?’ 

 ‘Hmm?’ 

I could have fainted right there," she exclaimed and continued excitedly,

 " ‘Yea, you want a ride?’

  ‘Yes!’ I nodded like a hungry puppy.' haha" 

Wiggling her whole body cheaply, sighing and moaning all along, she told the whole sordid tale of her shame with the utmost glee and unbounded joy! 
Yet all of it she had said so matter-of-factly, deliberately condescending, with no politeness to even show some effort in doing it, as if she had no consolation to dignify the defeated. 

It was obvious no quarter would be given. 

:(

She continued..

"And we were off. It must have been 5, I think, and we drove and we drove. His hands touched my thighs whenever he changed the gears. It was something I hadn’t felt in ages. For some reason, he did it in every other second and a tingling sensation crept all over me. 
Hmm.(sigh) 
 I collapsed into him, rubbing him all over, climbing from his neck up to his ear and reached to his luscious lips. My hands wouldn’t stop. But he was unwavering too. He looked nowhere else but at me, all along, as he drove! 
It was like I was driving him and he, was driving the car. 
Faster and faster. 
Growling and snarling. I don’t remember when we stopped and where, because it must have been awhile and darkness had crept in.  But I could hear the Sea a little further away.  We couldn't  wait any longer! It had to be there and then. We made out like there was no tomorrow. We stopped for nothing. We cared for nothing. We were so consumed in each other that by the end of it, we must have at least broken the sound barrier. I guess the moans and grunts that you heard were ours probably. Sorry!” 

Silence.

Neither of us could hide our smiles anymore. 

They were subtle and yet full in our eyes, but yes it had been a game well played. 

One all.

She picked up the bill and threw it at me.

Reaching out and she pinched me hard in the stomach, Ouch! 

 “But you dare think that I will let you live, if you let anyone sit on the Karizma, legs or no legs! Got it? ”

I winced and half laughed at the assault, shaking my head as if promising not to. 


We were all spent by then, anyway.

I paid the bill and she got up to begin walking out. But something held her, for 1 minuscule second she stopped in her tracks. 

Something had stopped her. 

She turned like a fast spinning top, almost immediately, and pointed to the Helen of Troy, smirking and mocking me all along,

 “Nice story!”, 


and my feline turned, with deliberate elegance, to walk away..

Was that a bead of sweat on her brow?

“but mine was better!” she shouted, halfway outside the door.


Had her face suddenly gone a wee bit red? 

“Yeah. Sure!” I retorted. But she had already left the building!


What had ruffled my Tigress so?


As I  collected the change, it suddenly dawned on me  that with her last move, 

my Queen had won the match, 


the game, 

the battle,

the whole damn war.

 It was 10:0 as usual. 

:(


Never mind, I consoled myself, as I licked my wound.

Today for the first time, I had given her, a real run for her money.

 After all, I had played against the deadliest the universe could offer!  


The best hunter in the jungle, 

the master of the game, 


the God of All things Superior, 


the predator of all predators, 


the creator, the protector, the destroyer – the Woman.

And yet, with her benevolence, survived to tell the story. 


:)



I was so consumed by all this sudden surge of 'realisation' that I do not remember managing to put the balance cash into my wallet in spite of my hands shaking with nervous excitement...

I do not recall whether by chance, the leggy nymphet, at the table in front, turned to call the boy and looked at me instead...

I forget whether Our eyes met... 

I do not recollect whether she paused for a mere split second, hesitating, a slight shock in her eyes…

and I do not remember turning away almost immediately and striding quickly out of the CCD...

I am unsure whether I did notice a familiar coloured Blackberry lying on the table in front of her...

Why can't I recall any of these details?
 
Because I was completely overwhelmed by the joy of having  finally solved the damned crossword.

The 13 letter word for ‘Masterful Scheming’ at 3 Across?

It was 'Machiavellian'.

;)




Copyright

 '3 Across'  Sanjay C. Nair

 14th November 2011

Photographs Courtesy Laura Ortego

No comments: